Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Blueberry Cookies Redux, Part 1

In addition to the new recipe I will be creating this week, I revisited the Blueberry Cookies from a couple of weeks ago, in hopes of creating something that wouldn't turn into a mushy mess.

This time, I decided to use dried blueberries. I still wanted to use the blueberry jam in the recipe, since it did add some blueberry flavor. I also thought I might turn this into an oatmeal cookie, with the idea that maybe the oatmeal would soak up some of the moisture.

Well, I worked out a recipe including both oatmeal and toasted almonds. I added in my dried blueberries. And waited for them to come out of the oven.

I was a bit disappointed with the outcome. They weren't bad, they just weren't anything to brag about. I found the oatmeal and nuts to be very distracting. Surprisingly the dried blueberries did still retain a lot of blueberry flavor, but one package (4oz) was not nearly enough to make this a true blueberry cookie. The cookies didn't turn to mush, but they had a weird texture.

I found them quite nice to eat for breakfast. I had previously had a lot of complaints about the previous batch being too sweet. This time I used mostly brown sugar, which imparts less of a sweet taste. Unfortunately, brown sugar also keeps the cookie from developing a nice cookie crumble.

I sat down and created a 4th revision based on the taste and texture of this batch. I decided to take all of these in to work to get rid of them in a hurry. I was surprised to find that several people thought they were good. Most commented that they had never had a blueberry cookie before. The regular tasters thought this new batch was better than the mush batch, but still not right.

Perhaps I will give it another shot this coming weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment